Twitter was quite a fascinating tool that I explored this week. Not only is it a tool for social purposes, it is also a great and informative tool for educational purposes. Whether you are interested in business, the arts or something like technology, there is always someone you can follow to get live updates of topics you are interested in. I like how twitter helps you discover new tools with it's discovery function. Based on your web searches and internet activity, it will present you tweets that may interest you. This takes customization to a whole new level! For example, if I was looking up the migration of whales online, twitter can link me up with groups such as WWF that cater to my interests. This is a great learning tool because if you are majoring in biology for example, you can follow influencial biologists on twitter in order to be one the first people to hear their thoughts and discoveries. You can also follow organizations like your university department in order to get updated on the most effective learning tools available to you provided these institutions.
![]() |
| University of Chicago; right, Tami Chappell/Reuters |
Times talked about 3 Professors who were awarded the noble prize in Economic Science. I found this article quite fascinating as it discussed how these professors showed that in the short term the financial market moved unpredictably but in the long term the market "moved by a mix of rational calculus and human behaviour". As an investor myself, this was very interesting as it will affect how I will handle my long term investments. Feedly has proved to be extremely useful to me as it provided me not only news of interest (like the iPhone 5S), but it also provided me very educational information like this one.
That's it for this week! I will continue to tweet through my twitter account @bwang00 so please follow me as I continue to explore our vast digital world and share all that I have learned with you. As always, thanks for reading and let's kick off week 6!
Thanks,
Billy

Hi Billy, I enjoyed reading through your blog post for this week and I have now officially followed you on twitter. I can appreciate your accounting profile picture as well! I totally agree that expanding our PLN's has been crucial to gaining a greater understanding of what tools are available and how best to use them. Using the internet to learn is a new thing for me, I am usually a very low tech individual, and I am really learning to embrace the different perspectives of fellow students and to gain greater digital literacy.
ReplyDeleteI used to be a twitter snob, I saw the site in a very narrow light, only focusing on the possibly mundane tweets of reality television stars who have little or nothing to offer to me in terms of learning. I have now come to understand how varied twitter can be in terms of information offerings, I have followed several educational institutes, including Brock and Coursera.
Thanks again for the insightful post, hoping to read more in the future!