Hey everyone it's been a great week so far! I have a ton of information to share this week as I explored the world of bookmarking and tagging. Many people out there probably think that sounds silly! Bookmarking should be very straightforward and easy right? Well yes and no. This is because you can take your bookmarking to the next level with
Diigo, an online organizational tool that helps collect and manage websites that you have bookmarked. Diigo is much more than a tool to bookmark websites though! It is a tool that can help me add sticky notes, highlight, share and tag things on my favourite websites! I really like the sticky note function in Diigo as it helps me add quick notes about things or keep a train of thoughts on a topic within any website that I have visited. This could help me academically by allowing me for example to write notes about about information that I am researching online directly on the website with the information. When I am researching how the accounting standards will affect depreciation, I can add a sticky note directly on the accounting standard website with my thoughts and I can come back anytime to that website for reference with my thoughts still there! The highlighting feature is also very useful; when reading the new accounting standard, I can highlight important points so that when I come back to it for reference, I do not need to read it all over again! Last but not least, tagging is also a very useful feature as it allows me to tag different websites and separate them into different categories that way. For example, I can tag all the technology related websites like Apple.com as "tech" and all the world news related websites as "news". This way, I can just search for a tag and find a list of all the websites that I have bookmarked related to that tag. I would definitely categorize Diggo in the "Organizing Content" category in my PLE. This makes a lot of sense as I think of Diggo as a great tool to organize all the contents I have collected on the internet.
 |
| Source: ChicagoAgent, http://chicagoagentmagazine.com/ |
An example of something I bookmarked this week is
IAS 2. This stands for International Accounting
Standard 2. IAS 2 covers inventories, specifically how inventories should be measured, collected and presented on the financial statement. IAS 2 is very important to me as I not only use this as a reference for my accounting classes at Brock, but I also use this at work! By learning to use Diggo, my life was made much simpler to be honest. In addition to helping me bookmark the IAS 2 reference page (which allows me to access it with just a single click), it also helped me organize my thoughts on the page. Firstly, I was able to tag it as "accounting". This will be very useful as I start to collect dozens of bookmarks and when the time comes and I am in need of IAS 2 guidelines, I can simply search up accounting in the tags search bar. Secondly, I was able to highlight many important pages on the IAS 2 reference page with Diggo, this will allow me to refer to specific parts of IAS 2 that I often forget or use!
Anyways, that's it for this week! Learning about Diggo and other bookmark tools has really helped me out and will definitely save me time in the future! I hope you have been inspired by this post to take a peek at Diggo as I think it is a wonderful tool everyone can utilize. As always, thanks for reading and stay tuned for next week's post!
Billy
Hey Billy, I had never even considered using an on-line bookmarking service since I am a heavy user of Google Chrome. My bookmarks are already synced between all of my devices. However as you pointed out Diigo allows you to do so much more than bookmark! I agree that this tool can be a huge help academically in that we can make notes and highlights right on the webpage. I particularly liked that you can make all these markings on the page and then share it through a simple link with your friends or group team members. Great tool!
ReplyDelete