I can definitely see myself using a wiki on a daily basis. In fact, I am already using a wiki called Wikipedia on a daily basis. It is one of my first sources for information before I look anywhere else. I think one of the biggest concerns with wikis is that it can be changed by anyone! This means anyone can add false information to a wiki and viewers may take it as a fact. However from my experience with Wikipedia, I have not encountered any situations where there were false information in something I read. This is mainly because for every person who adds incorrect information to the wiki, there is a hundred or more people who are there to correct it immediately. Wikis are similar to some collaboration tools like Google Docs and Evernote, however they can also be very different. This is because while the fundamental idea of a wiki and Google Docs is for people to come together and work on a topic, the purposes and situation in where they are used are different. Many wikis like Wikipedia is designed for the mass public, meaning it is accessible and edible by anyone and everyone. However in many situations, tools like Google Docs are meant for a target audience, a select group of individuals and not for the world at large. I think wikis are a great source of information and a great way to contribute to a topic that you are knowledgable about for the world to see. While I think Google Docs is a great tool to collaborate with a limited number of people. At the end of the day, which tool you prefer really depends on what your intention with that tool is. Depending on the situation, your preference can easily change.
I think wikis are a great and effective tool for supporting learning. This is because wikis can be composed of thousands and even millions of individuals' minds. This allows information to be widely available as there many sources available to add into the wiki. However the issue with wikis is that it may not be always accurate, especially regarding controversial or complicated topics. Wikis can be used as a source of information, however I do not believe it should be used as a sole source of information. It should always be corroborated with other sources whenever possible. By doing this, one can support their learning very successfully with wikis as it will act as one of their many sources of information.
![]() |
| Stephen Morton for The New York Times |
Thanks for reading as always, please stay tuned for next week!
Billy

No comments:
Post a Comment